Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Eric Carle Inspired Bugs


Eric Carle Inspired Bugs
3rd Grade

Eric Carle is one of my very favorite artists.  I thought up this project idea my first year of teaching.  I discovered my 3rd grade students where doing a play about bugs.  It was perfect timing to do an Eric Carle inspired class! Not only did I love it, but my students had a lot of fun with this project.  This lesson stressed the idea of process.  One can't move onto the next step right away, and each layer uses different media to create a unique product.  

Step 1.  Choose idea for a bug and its background.
Step 2.  Hand out watercolor paper (9"x12"), watercolor, and paintbrushes. Paint background.
Step 3.  Hand out plain, white paper (8.5"x11" or 9"x12"). Paint paint with a variety of colors that will be need to make up chosen bug.  Make sure to add flicks of color, so the bug isn't made up of plain, solid colors. (Note: The use of different tints and shades and colors in Eric Carle's bugs and animals.)
Step 4.  Allow time for both background and painted papers to dry.
Step 5.  Once dry, cut out needed pieces of painted papers to create all the bug's body parts.
Step 6. Glue bug pieces onto background.
Step 7. If any other details are needs, add color/detail with oil pastels.


View my lesson plan with link below:
COMING SOON!

No comments:

Post a Comment