Sunday, January 26, 2014

Japanese Cherry Blossoms


Japanese Cherry Blossoms
3rd Grade

This lesson is simple enough.  I did this lesson during my student teaching.  My students thought it was so much fun.  Popcorn and straws... what kid wouldn't like making art with that?!?  It is different from "the norm" in the art room.  Plus, they turn out pretty cool if I do say so myself.  Plus, this lesson is the perfect opportunity to introduce historic art scrolls from Japan, talk about the significance of the cherry blossom in Japan, and the time of year the cherry blossoms bloom.  I couldn't believe how much of the little details and the fun facts my kids remembered at the end of the lesson. 

Step 1.  Paint the background with blue watercolor.  Let dry for a little bit.
Step 2.  Use watered down black tempera paint.  Use your paintbrush and put drops onto the paper. With a straw, blow the paint across the page.  Doing this will create the branches.
Step 3.  You'll popcorn and pink tempera paint.  Dip the popcorn into the paint and then press it down on the paper.  It will look like little cherry blossoms.
Step 4:  Either draw with a red pen or make a little stamper to create the little Japanese signature down at the bottom.

Email me/comment below for a full lesson plan (including standards, list of supplies, assessment, etc.).

No comments:

Post a Comment