Thursday, February 20, 2014

Dhurrie Rug


Dhurrie Rug
Kindergarten

This is another one of the line project I did with my kindergarten kids.  I had a powerpoint about the background/history of dhurrie rugs.  Now, this last year, the project didn't go that well for me. The kids were more excited about cutting the colored paper into pieces and shapes instead of lines to paste onto their black piece of paper.  However,  I think as long as I scissors with fun blades I'll be okay.  I also need to find a better way to do the yearn tassels without me having to make all of them.  I might even move this lesson up to a different grade.

Step 1.  Cut black sheets of construction paper to 9" x 6".
Step 2.  Have various colors of construction paper to cut up with scissors that have different designed blades.
Step 3.  Paste the colored stripes of cut paper to the black sheet.
Step 4.  Paper punch each of the short ends 4 times.
Step 5.  Attach strings of yearn as tassels.

Email me/comment below for a full lesson plan (including standards, list of supplies, assessment, etc.).

5 comments:

  1. Hello! I saw your lesson on Dhurrie rugs, and am interested in incorporating the idea into a third grade art project. I have a high Indian population at my school, and would like to teach a new project that is pertaining to their home country. Do you still have the Powerpoint on this lesson? Would you be willing to share it? I am planning on doing this with cardboard looms and real yarn.

    Thanks!
    Jodi Bricely
    jbricely@forsyth.k12.ga.us

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! I love this idea. I would love to do this with my kindergarteners. Would you mind sending me the lesson or PowerPoint? Thank you! Allison Elder, eldera1@fultonschools.org

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was about to start a project just like this with my kinders to work on cutting and yarn tying skills! Would you be willing to share your plan and PPT? Thank you! bmkpylant@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello! I would love the full lesson plan on Dhurrie Rugs if you would be willing to share! Thank you! kallikaudelka@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey there! I am wanting to teach my second graders about Dhurrie rugs and would love your lesson plan and powerpoint if you're willing to share! abfreidline@pescharlotte.org Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete