Thursday, February 20, 2014

Mondrian Fish


Mondrian Fish
Kindergarten

This lesson idea was yet again inspired by Pinterest.  The lesson began with a song by Greg Percy called "Mondrian".  I taught the kids the chorus line to the song before we started the project.  As they worked on the project, I had the song playing in the background, so they could sing along with it.

Step 1.  With a pencil, draw a large "C" shape on the paper for the fishes body.
Step 2.  Draw the number 3 connecting the tips of the "C".  The 3 will create the tail fin.
Step 3.  Using lines, split up the fish's body into different sizes of rectangles and squares.
Step 4.  Cover pencil lines with black marker.
Step 5.  Color the shapes either red, yellow, or blue or leave blank white.
Step 6.  Color the background blue for the water (my example doesn't have it colored... I changed my mind after I had taken the picture).
Step 7.  Paste drawing on a light blue sheet of construction paper.  It should create a 1" each border around the drawing.
Step 8.  Add red, yellow, and blue dots around the border to create a pattern.

Email me/comment below for a full lesson plan (including standards, list of supplies, assessment, etc.).

No comments:

Post a Comment