Thursday, February 6, 2014

Leaf Movement


Leaf Movement
3rd Grade

I did this lesson after I had already taught my students about lines, shapes, and color. Before I had them stay drawing, we talked about movement.  I would walk around the room and ask students if they thought I was movement.  "How do you know I'm moving?" I would ask.  I would stand as still as I could.  "Am I moving now?"  "How do you know?" Next,  the students were asked to show movement of the leaf by creating lines in their paper.  For this lesson,  I brought in fallen leaves for students to look at well their were working.  This lesson was also a good review on not only line but color.  They had to color their leaves with the warm colors and was cool colors on the lines.  One more thing I think about this lesson would be using watercolor and crayons together.  I like how the students discover how the two materials react to one another.

Step 1.  With pencil, draw a leaf in one of the corners of the paper.
Step 2.  Draw the lines to show the movement of how the leaf was to have traveled throughout the paper.
Step 3.  With crayons, color in the leaf with warm colors.
Step 4.  Still with crayons, color the lines with cool colors.
Step 5.  Paint background with watercolor.

Email me/comment below for a full lesson plan (including standards, list of supplies, assessment, etc.).

No comments:

Post a Comment